Dermatologists Say These Are The Best (And Worst) Foods For Your Skin

Over the past 20 years, scientists have established a strong connection between our diets and our skin health. According to dermatologist Neetu Nirdosh, only 20% of our skin health stems from genetics, and the other 80% comes from lifestyle choices. Our diet makes up much of our lifestyle.

Citrus fruits, coffee, and tea don’t only work as a topical. Eating these foods can supply your skin with healthy vitamins that prevent aging. On the other hand, eating certain foods can create spots and wrinkles sooner than we’d like. Here are dermatologists’ recommendations for the foods you should and shouldn’t eat for healthy skin.

Steer Clear Of Too Much Sugar

Getty Images

Several studies have linked a high-sugar diet to visible skin aging. In 2009, researchers from the University of Montreal discovered that sugar shortens cells’ lifespans. According to another study in Clinics in Dermatology, sugar produces AGEs, or Advanced Glycation End Production that causes premature wrinkles.

How does this happen? Dr. Andrew Nish of UnityPoint Health explains that it’s the same process that turns bananas brown. Sugar reacts with protein, causing it to age more rapidly. The result is more wrinkles, sagging, dark spots, and more acne. If you want to keep your skin healthy, cut out sugar whenever you can.

Open Next Page to Learn More

Page 1 of 20
Page 1 of 20