Here are the ingredients that you will need in order to make these four-ingredient sugar cookies:
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Here are the instructions that you need to follow in order to make these cookies:
1. First, combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream on high until the mixture is fully homogenous, or about 3 minutes. Then add the flour and salt, mixing until just combined, about 30 seconds.
2. Remove the dough from the bowl and form it into a 1/2-inch-thick rectangle. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oven to 350°F.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it, and dust with a sprinkling of flour. Roll it out to a 1/4-inch thickness with a rolling pin on a floured surface. Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes you want and carefully transfer them onto a lined or nonstick baking sheet. The dough needs to be cold for it to more easily cut.
5. Then, bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Cool completely on the baking sheet before glazing and decorating.
6. Either enjoy your cookies as they are, or decorate them. With a knife, palette knife, or piping bag fitted with a small round tip, outline, or frost the top surface of each cookie. Decorate with sprinkles before the frosting hardens.
You can also create a glaze for the cookies for an added level of flavor. Here are the ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of liquid (juice, peanut butter, chocolate sauce, flavored milk, etc)
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- Food coloring (optional)
In a small bowl, combine all of your chosen liquid together with all of the combined confectioners’ sugar, and whisk together until the mixture is smooth.