Disney is the happiest place on Earth, and if we can’t physically visit Disney parks in person, we can do the next best thing. And that is by bringing a little Disney magic into your home via the kitchen. That’s right! Disney has released another recipe for fans to try and this one is a fan favorite!
Disney recently unveiled its super popular beignet recipe, and the beignets themselves are shaped like Mickey Mouse. These sugar-coated beignets are available at Disney Park locations like New Orleans Square and Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter.
They are an excellent option for a fun and Disney filled breakfast or as a sweet treat. Another great Disney twist is to make these yummy beignets and then watch Disney’s “The Princess and the Frog,” which is set in New Orleans, the home of the best beignets!
This specific recipe makes about ten large-sized Mickey Mouse beignets, or two dozen small beignets if you don’t want to make them shaped like Mickey Mouse. Here are all of the ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar (for topping)
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water and stir until dissolved. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, vegetable shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg and flour with boiling water. Then, stir in the yeast mixture.
- Using the dough hook of an electric mixer, mix the dough at medium speed until smooth. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough until ¼ inch thick and slice beignets with the Mickey-shaped cutter – or cut into squares, about 2 ½ to 3-inch in size. In a warm, draft-free space, cover beignets with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size, which will take between one and 1 1/2 hours.
- Carefully heat up three inches of vegetable oil (to about 350 F) in a heavy, deep pot on medium-high heat.
- Adding in beignets, fry dough for between two and three minutes until golden brown.
- Once cooked through, remove beignets and set on paper towels to drain.
- While warm, dust the beignets with powdered sugar. Then, serve and enjoy!