There are many different desserts that exist, and many of them are packed with sugar. One of the most recognized desserts is meringue, which is made only from egg whites and sugar. Meringue is also made in a variety of different styles: italian, swiss and french.
Meringues are also incredibly versatile with flavors, as they can just be eggs and sugar or you can easily add flavors, or textures from cereal to pretzels. Meringues can be large and small, and in various shapes or colors due to color dye and flavorings. However, meringues are more of a technical dessert, as it can fall apart when not made properly on the stove.
Here are the ingredients that you will need in order to make these meringues:
- 4 large egg whites (cold and fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 11/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups Fruity Pebbles (or something similar!)
Here are the directions that you need to follow in order to make this recipe:
1. First, you need to heat the oven to 200°F.
2. Then, whip the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the salt and whisk for about 1 minute, until the salt disappears and the whites stiffen slightly. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until glossy, stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the cereal until just combined, about 30 seconds.
3. Pipe 1½-inch rounds using a pastry bag fitted with a plain round tip or drop tablespoons of the mixture 2 inches apart onto greased or lined baking sheets.
4. Bake for 2-3 hours, depending on how large your meringues are until they are completely dry. They should feel hollow and be slightly cracked. Let cool completely on the pans.
5. Serve, or store right side up in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.