Here are the ingredients that you will need in order to make meringues:
- 4 large egg whites (cold and fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 11/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups Fruity Pebbles (or something similar!)
Here are the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete this meringue recipe:
1. First, you need to pre-heat the oven to 200°F.
2. Then, whip the egg whites in the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high. You should whip the eggs until they are completely fluffy, which should be about 2 minutes.
3. Then, sprinkle the mixture with the salt and whisk for about 1 full minute, until the salt disappears and the whites stiffen slightly. Next, add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until the mixture turns glossy and stiff peaks form. This process should take about 3 minutes, and the mixture should not fall off the whisk attachment at all.
4. Finally, if you want to flavor the meringue, now is the time to add in some flavored extract. Or if you want the meringue to have some texture, add cereal or chocolate chips to the mix, and slightly incorporate as to not overmix the eggs. Whisk in the flavors until just combined, about 30 seconds.
5. Once the mixture is fully combined, place it carefully into a piping bag or frosting dispenser. Then, pipe in 1½-inch rounds using a pastry bag fitted with a plain round tip. If you don’t have a piping bag or frosting dispenser, simply drop tablespoons of the mixture 2 inches apart onto greased or lined baking sheets.
6. Next, bake for 2-3 hours, depending on how large your meringues are until they are completely dry. They should feel hollow and be slightly cracked. Let cool completely on the pans. You can also add some texture to the bottom of the meringues by rolling them in melted chocolate or adding chopped nuts.
7. Serve, or store right side up in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.