Cakes are a fun and versatile dessert for any occasion or day. Fruit cakes are texture and flavored filled cakes, and many different types of fruits can be used. In addition, these cakes tend to be constructed and baked upside down, so when the cake is cut into all of the fruit is on top of the cake.
Here are the ingredients that you will need for this recipe:
3 tablespoons butter
½ cup light brown sugar
2 apples, peeled and sliced through the center, seeded. (You can use any type of fruit here if you want. Whatever fruit you like or want to try out. Pineapple is not a requirement.)
5 tablespoons butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar
(OR ⅔ cup dulce de leche, ½ cup sugar)
¼ cup grapeseed oil
⅓ cup milk
2 teaspoons vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup flour
(Add 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, if you want to)
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
Here are the directions for the recipe:
2. Next, combine all of the butter and brown sugar in a small bowl and microwave to melt butter and dissolve sugar. You should stir the mixture to combine it. Pour the mixture into the round pan or skillet. Arrange sliced apples (or desired fruit) atop in a fanning method. Then set the pan aside for now.
3. In a medium/large bowl, mix butter and sugars together until combined. Add eggs and whisk to aerate the mixture.
4. Add oil, whisking slowly at first then vigorously to continue aerating. Next, add milk, vinegar and vanilla to the mixture, mixing to combine.
5. Add flour, spices, baking powder and salt and mix just to combine.
6. Pour cake batter atop the apples (or chosen fruit) in the round pan or skillet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the cake bounces back slightly when poked and the center is no longer jiggly.
7. Allow the pan to cool for 10 minutes at room temperature, then invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature. Apply desired toppings if you want and dig in! This cake is also good in the fridge for several days.